Monday, June 25, 2012

What Do I Stand For?

Being in India has made me grateful for the opportunities I have been granted by growing up in the United States. When you see the struggles and grave lives of the majority of the population in India, you cannot help but want to do something about it. One will inherently want to make a difference, it is impossible not to feel both compassion and depression while comparing your life to the lives of others. Part of me wants to go off and save the world, but a bigger part of me knows that anything I attempt will only reach a very small portion of the population. I, myself, may only be able to help one person.

Do I think that I will be coming back to India to make a difference here? No. But this has got me thinking, what do I stand for? How am I going to make a difference in my chosen career path? I am going back to the United States on July 7th, and am almost immediately moving to New York to start my masters program at Columbia University. I will be studying school counseling and mental health counseling at Teachers College. I hope that someday I can help adolescents conquer their fears and inhibitions in order to become the best versions of themselves possible.

So, what do I stand for? I stand for equality - I believe that all individuals should receive equal pay for equal work regardless of gender, race, and religion. I believe that no man can own a woman, and no woman should face domestic violence. I stand for love - I believe that all individuals should be free to love whoever they wish to love, a family with love is the best kind of family. I stand for kindness - I believe that one must exert less effort to be nice than to be mean, a smile can turn around a person's day even if you are unaware of it at the time. I stand for health care - I believe there is no reason for a child to not receive adequate vaccinations to ward off infectious diseases. I stand for education - I believe that an educated individual can make a difference in this world, regardless of chosen life path.

Cover of Some Nights by FUN. 

So, what do you stand for? Comment and let me know. 


2 comments:

  1. Ok, lets try this again.

    I stand for listening and for speaking. I stand for having your own opinions and desires. I stand for happiness and individuality as well as group efforts. I stand for love and for creativity. I stand for faith and belief for yourself and hot harming others. I stand for protecting those who can not protect themselves, included the environment. I want to stand for our next generation in hopes that we leave the world better then we found it.

    I tried to not repeat things you said as well as write things I would actually argue and fight for. I stand for many things, but its been a long day and can't think of them.

    Good job blogging :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts, Briana! I stand for caring for people, for understanding we're all much more alike than we are different. When people hurt they all feel hurt and when we love we all feel the same love. I believe travel is educational and you learn a lot by seeing something totally different than your culture.

    I love the song you added to your blog.

    Keep writing!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete