Saturday, June 30, 2012

Field Trip

I love field trips, and I think it is safe to say that everyone loves field trips. Field trips in the United States are fun, but I am pretty sure that field trips in India are better, way better.

On Friday we took a class field trip instead of having lecture and it was SO fun. We drove from Manali to Naggar, which was about 40 minutes away. We started off our day by visiting the home, artwork, and personal art collection of Russian artist Nicholas Roerich. I was interesting to see the blend of Russian and Indian culture both in a personal and professional setting. My favorite thing about Nicholas Roerich was that he created a flag known as The Banner of Peace.

From GoogleImages

Each circle within the flag respectively stands for art, religion, and science, and they are all surrounded by the infinite border of culture. 

After we visited his home and artwork, we were able to see the Castle of Naggar. The Castle was awesome! When we got there we were surprised with a group of people playing music and dancing. I am sad to say I did not take any pictures or videos of the scene, but trust me, it was awesome. We then ate lunch on the balcony of the castle, and had amazing views while eating traditional Indian food for lunch.
From GoogleImages

As you can see, the view from our lunch table was quite exquisite. After lunch came the real excitement, though. We went to a cheese factory! Yup, that's right, we saw mozzarella cheese being made by hand. Ok, so you probably don't know this about me, but I love to cook, and have actually made mozzarella cheese at home before. Even though I knew how the process worked, it was still super fun to watch on a larger scale. We ended up buying a Kilo of fresh cheese, which is about 2.2 pounds, and our hotel made us pizza with the cheese we bought! Yum! 


Today is a lazy day, mostly because I have a lot of school work to do. 10 page paper, ya dig? My teacher's family came to Manali a week ago and I have been super distracted playing with her kids (3 and 8). Also, since I know she is going to read this, I'm loving it and it's fun and I am not complaining about it :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment