Monday, June 18, 2012

The Swing of Things


Yesterday was our first day of "normalcy" here in India. I woke up to do rooftop yoga, which was super hard. We then had our first lecture for the study abroad course. It was more of a group discussion than a lecture, which was really enjoyable. We just talked about pretty much everything I have been blogging about, so I won't go in to detail here.

After lunch we went to go get a tour of the Lady Willingdon Hospital in Manali. It is a mission hospital that, while small and rustic, was truly quite impressive. I'm not a huge fan of hospitals, so I didn't really enjoy the tour very much, but I did find it interesting. Part of our class here is to conduct a research project and write a 10-15 page paper about our research. Almost everyone on the trip is pre-med, and as you all know, I am not. While we were at the hospital we were told that they have two social workers that go in to high schools and counsel teenagers on any issues they might be having. If you know me, you know that is EXACTLY what I want to do with my life. I hope I am able to shadow those professionals and make that the focus of my research project. I will definitely keep you updated on that front, but don't you worry, I won't post my ten page paper on the blog.

Now I know this might surprise you, but it is cold in Manali. I was as surprised as you probably are right now. I didn't bring a jacket with me to India in the summer, who would? Don't get me wrong, it's not super cold, but it gets down to the 60's, which is pretty chilly without a jacket. So, long story short, I am having a jacket made for me. Yup, that's right, I got to pick out my outside fabric, inside fabric, and style. It is being made to my measurements, and I am only paying $13 USD for it. What!?! I'm really excited about it. I am getting it today so I will be sure to post a picture of me in it, it is going to be really cute.

During dinner, I felt as though I was experiencing a scene from The Lion King.



All of a sudden we heard loud noises coming from the street and we looked over and there was literally a stampede of sheep and goats. 



Yup, a real live stampede. 

No comments:

Post a Comment