Friday, June 15, 2012

Expect the Unexpected

One thing to keep in mind while traveling is that no plans, no matter how well played out, are not foolproof.

In my blog post yesterday I forgot to mention the lighter and funnier things that were happening to me while in India. I did not know this, but the type of toilet we use in America is called a "western toilet," meaning that there are other types of toilets around the world. Who knew? Anyway, it was suggested to me to do an entire post on the world's different toilets, but I'll spare you and just talk about Indian toilets, commonly referred to as squatty potties.

From Wikipedia

Now let me explain this to you. You are facing like you would on a western toilet, putting your feet where the textured marks are on either side of the hole. Then you squat all the way down to your feet, and go to the bathroom in the little hole. The most mind boggling thing to me is that it flushes! I assumed all holes in the ground toilets were merely holes in the ground. I guess I was wrong. In any case, I am proudly telling the world that I successfully went to the bathroom in a squatty potty. 

Moving on. This morning we woke up at 4 in the morning to catch our flight that left Delhi at 6:40. This is where the drama begins. You know how in America and on most flights you are allowed to check a bag up to 50 lbs? Well, on this airline they said we could only have 30 lbs. WHAT? No one told us that. So as we are checking in to the airport as a group we find out that our baggage is over weight and we need to pay a fee of 11,000 rupees. This is about $200 USD. As you can Imagine, all 11 students start to shove everything they can from their checked baggage to their carry on baggage. 

We get to our gate, and our flight has been delayed, but the airline cannot tell us how long it will be. Long story short, we flew on a teeny tiny airplane (2 seats on each side with propellers on the wing) that was filthy. And by filthy, I mean there were cockroaches on the plane along with a wasp. It was disgusting. When we got to the Manali airport we were waiting for our baggage when we were informed that our luggage was not coming. Not only was our group's luggage not on the plane with us, but NOBODY'S luggage from the flight was on the plane with them. As you can imagine, there was mad and furious chaos in the airport. Our luggage is  scheduled to arrive to our hotel tonight, and I really really hope that mine is there! All of the gifts I have purchased for people so far are in my bag. *crossing my fingers*

Now we are in Manali, a beautiful small city in Northern India. The best thing about Manali so far is the weather. It is so beautiful outside, in the 80's with no humidity. It's supposed to be in the 60's at night. I should be out exploring now but I'm so tired I decided to take it easy. I will post some pictures tomorrow after I have gone exploring a little bit. 

Happy Weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment