Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Where to start?

When I started researching beginning running, I consistently found the same 3 pieces of advice

1) Invest in good running shoes
2) Invest in a good sports bra
3) Don't exceed your personal fitness level

Although I had never run before, I had a pair of Asics Cross-trainers that I would wear for regular work-out activities. After my first running attempt, I learned the hard way that they just would not do. At 21 years old, I was experiencing hip pain, hip pain! I did some internet research, and I learned that regular work-out shoes have extra padding on the heel of the foot, which can cause a runner, beginner or experienced, to heel strike, which is just putting excess force on your heel. Being the magical place the internet is, I found Newton Running Shoes; a shoe company that believes in the barefoot running movement. Now before you ask, no, I am not running in the glove for your feet shoes, I have normal looking sneakers. I bought the Lady Isaac, a shoe that has extra padding on the ball of the foot as opposed to the heel of the foot. After one run, I knew that I had invested in good running shoes; I had no pain anywhere.

Investing in a good sports bra might be more important that investing in good running shoes, at least in my opinion. On that first day of running with my bad shoes, I was also wearing an extremely unsupportive sports bra, that was a huge mistake. My sister-in-law is a runner, and just so happens to be extremely well endowed. She suggested to me that I try LuLuLemon's TaTaTamer. I was lucky enough to find one on sale at the store, and was extremely pleased with my purchase.

My personal fitness level on January 4th: not good. The thought of becoming a runner intimidated me, so I once again turned to the internet. I have a love for Women's Health Magazine, but seriously, it's kind of an obsession. Their website is chalk-full of general health tips ranging from exercise to food and even sex life. They have a beginning running plan that I have started numerous times before, but this time I decided to keep with it. I have been going a little slower than the plan outlines for me, but I am proud of my accomplishments.

Briana's Beginning Running Tips: Good shoes, good bra, slow and steady wins the race, good music (and an iPod arm band thing)

No comments:

Post a Comment