Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Milestones

Today, I ran for over 4 miles. I ran 4.32 miles in exactly one hour, and am probably a little too excited about it. Every time I add another mile to my run, I feel super accomplished and like I should celebrate in some small way. It is at that moment that I realize the additional mile is a celebration in itself.

One reason I began running is because I have a negative view of my body. I really want to love the way I look, but I just don't. I know I must sound like every other 20-something you have ever met, but it really bothers me. While exploring pinterest I was lucky enough to stumble upon a string of ads created by nike. I have no idea why these advertisements have never been published anywhere that I have seen. They are seriously awesome. Ok, enough of me talking about them - here is one for you to see on your own. I want to keep the suspense running though, so I am only going to show you one for now.


Source: google.com via Briana on Pinterest

I hope you enjoyed that - and stay posted because I will continue to post the Nike ads when I feel appropriate.

Anyway - back to my bad body image. I have never been happy with the way I look. I am tall - almost 5'9'' - super curvy, have frizzy brown curly hair, and eyes so dark they could be mistaken for black. The only thing I like about my body is my nose (I love my nose), and I LOVE my hair when it is under control. Today, I had a really significant breakthrough with my own mind, though. I realized that if my body is physically capable of doing everything I want it to do, then why should I care what it looks like? I never thought that my body would be able to run/walk over 4 miles, and I have achieved that in a little over a month. I can't wait to see what I will accomplish as I continue running. 

1 comment:

  1. Impressive. You know it's interesting. I've always been relatively comfortable in my body, but I can barely run for 20 minutes. I struggle with the will power to get in shape and maximize my physical potential. If you are regularly running freakin 4 miles, then you are going to be healthy. And healthy bodies are the most beautiful. Props to you.

    ReplyDelete