Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Great Outdoors

I am afraid to run outside, and no, I am not kidding you. There are just so many things to be afraid of. Let me show you...

Via Concreteplayground.com.au
Via AdvancedFootTexas.com
         
                      Via FunandEducational.com



Now let me explain them to you. What happens if I pass out in the middle of the road and no one finds me for a really long time? I don't have a good enough body to run outside in just a sports bra and short shorts... will people judge me if I run outside in real clothes? What if I get hit by a car and something horrible happens to me? 

There are many reasons why I am afraid of running outside, but these are just a few. 

Now, there are also many reasons why I want to start running outside, don't worry, I will show you those too...
                      
                                         Via http://rusticlifestyle.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/pinecrest1.jpg


via cdn.sheknows.com
The first picture is the lake 1 mile from my camp that I attend every sumer. It has always been my dream to run to the lake, and this August, I WILL! The second picture is just of a young, confident woman just running along in nature. I just really want to be able to do that. 

So, the point of me telling you all of this is I am running outside, for the first time, on Saturday! My goal is to run to the lake, walk around the lake, and walk home. Now sorry readers, I am not going to tell you exactly where I am going for privacy's sake, but I'll let you know how it goes, maybe I'll even take a picture. 

More next time, 
B

4 comments:

  1. I always find I get a better workout when I run outside. Good luck! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to be outside! Put on your most comfortable, unflattering clothes and run proudly. You should run down at Lake Artemesia in Berwyn Heights (http://www.pgparks.com/page328.aspx). It's easier than running on campus since at school there are super fit, attractive people everywhere and it's easy to feel judged, but the lake usually has lots of housewives, families, and other non threatening humans lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I run inside, I always feel like I am a hamster stuck on a wheel. That's why I try to spend as much time outside on the roads as possible. In terms of your concerns, all of them have easy fixes. First, if you are concerned that you'll pass out somewhere just let one of our sisters know where you're running and how long you think the run will be. If you don't show up, then they where to look for you. Second, yes running magazines (and other media outlets) like to focus on the super fit, super attractive runners, but those people in reality are outliers. If you ever watch a big marathon on TV you see people of all shapes and sizes competing on the same course, many of the larger runners are faster than runners who are as thin as a twig. If you are worried that people will judge you, think about it like this... no matter how slow you are running, you are lapping ANYONE who is sitting on their couch. Don't be concerned with how people will perceive you-you are doing your run, not theirs. Chances are you will stay in their mind for a grand total of five seconds and then they will get on with their lives. Life is stressful enough without over thinking things that ultimately don't matter. Third, runners are struck by cars occasionally; I personally have had more close calls than I like to remember. The best way to be safe around cars is simply to not do dumb things (like run in the middle of the road, wear black non-reflective clothing when running at dawn/dusk/middle of the night, assuming a car sees you when in reality it probably doesn't). As I mentioned before, one of the smartest things you can do is to let someone know where you're going and when you'll be back. Another thing that I personally like and would recommend to anyone is a RoadID. It's essentially a wristband that has your name and some basic identification/emergency contact information on it. It's a great way of having some form of ID with you, whenever you are out running/walking/doing your own thing. I personally have the RoadID interactive, which allows me to create an online profile with emergency contacts, medical information, personal information, etc. This profile can be accessed by EMT's or hospitals based on information engraved on your RoadID. Little things like that can make a huge difference if safety. If you don't believe me to go: http://www.roadid.com/Testimonial/TestimonialList.aspx and read some of the REAL stories. Another thing to consider is that being hit by a car can happen to anyone; from the most elite athletes to the slowest beginner. The most important thing is to be aware that things can happen and to try to plan as much as possible for those emergencies. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that as soon as you start running outside you'll get hit by a car. I'm just saying that it can happen to anyone and you need to be aware of the possibility.

    Anyways, keep up the good work and always keep this in mind,

    "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."- John Bingham

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just listen to a great playlist and tune out the world. :)

    ReplyDelete