Saturday, February 9, 2013

I love Trader Joe's

Yes, I am going to devote a whole post to why I love Trader Joe's, sorry I'm not sorry. As you know, living in New York City is incredibly expensive, and we students need to do everything in our power to save money wherever and whenever possible. You may not know this, but Trader Joe's across the country are price-matched, so whether you are in New York City or Miami, Florida, they all have the same prices! #winning.

Since I have been trying to eat extra healthy this year, I find that I can accomplish my goal with almost everything at TJ's. I can even eat their desserts and stay on track as long as I am measuring out one serving of it. I think that's pretty wonderful. So now I will review a few of my new favorite finds!

1) Chocolate Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert Made With Coconut Milk (the title is a little too long)


I don't know about you, but I have a serious problem with dairy... Not that it keeps me from eating it. So while shopping yesterday I came across this lovely gem, and decided to buy it and see if it was any good. The woman at the register told me that people were saying it was "off the chain," which is not necessarily a term I would have used, but gave me the idea that it was awesome. So after scooping out a portion into a bowl, and adding some frozen raspberries, I must say it might be the best chocolate ice cream I have ever had. Why they feel it is necessary to call it a "non-dairy frozen dessert" is beyond my understanding, it's ice cream. It was really rich and creamy, it almost tasted like gelato. Regardless, I really recommend it! 

2) Beef Tamales 


My mom and brother have been eating these tamales for months and have been encouraging me to try them. Last week, after eating beets, I decided that was not consuming enough iron. This is probably because I was only eating red meat about once a month. Really, just when I ate chipotle or when my boyfriend's dad makes it (which is every time he cooks, not complaining, it's delicious). I have decided to try to eat red meat once a week now, and so i figured these tamales would help me with my endeavors. I had one for dinner tonight and I must say they are delicious! I really wanted to eat both of them, but since the serving size is one, I only ate one and made some brussels sprouts to go with them. 

3) Speculoos 


Now try to imagine something that is the consistency of peanut butter, but tastes like cookies! Yup, you heard that correctly. It's awesome. Also something that I have to measure out to make sure I don't eat the whole jar. You can put it on fruit, ice cream, a spoon, anything! 

4) Fiberful Granola Bars 



Basically, these taste like candy, but they are actually really healthy! I eat them for breakfast before classes and they keep me full for about four hours #success 

5) Reduced Guilt Macaroni and Cheese 


If you know me at all, you know that mac & cheese is one of my favorite all time foods. Trader Joe's has two options of frozen mac; one is full fat, and one is reduced guilt. I love both, but I don't really have to feel guilty for eating the reduced guilt one yay! 

Ok, so those are my top 5 favorite TJs foods, today anyway. 

What's new in my life? Just going to school, trying to find a job, and working out a lot at the gym! 

More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment