Friday, April 10, 2015

Back On The Wagon Again

Well hello there, blogosphere. I hope things have been good out here for the last two years. My life has changed drastically since the last time I blogged. I got a dog, and I graduated with my Masters degree from Columbia. I moved back to Los Angeles and became an aunt! And I started working as a college counselor at a local high school - and I love it!

Probably the most exciting news in relation to this blog is that I successfully completed my first 5k! I ran it, in it's entirety, on Thanksgiving Day 2014. I was, and still am, incredibly proud of myself! I finished the race in 30:51, which definitely exceeded my expectations.

Photograph by Rob Nelms


The only bad thing about completing this race was that I immediately lost all motivation to run, because I no longer had anything to train for. I bribed myself to finish the training for this race with a new pair of running shoes. Spoiler alert: I LOVE my new running shoes, albeit I used them for the first time 4 months after I bought them. Better late than never, right? 

I trained for my first race, and ran my first race, in the Lady Isaac shoes made by Newton. I previously reviewed them here. Since I bought these shoes in January 2012, I decided that I deserved a new pair of running shoes for completing my first 5k in 2014. I really wanted to get a new pair of the same exact shoe, but I soon learned that these shoes were discontinued. I am now the proud owner of the Newton Kismet. The are the new version of my old shoe, with the added bonus of having a stabilizing factor, which will hopefully help my ankles from rolling in. 

It also doesn't hurt that they're pretty! 

I did run twice in December after my 5k, but I tried to do too much too fast in my new shoes, and my feet hurt like crazy. I registered for the Disneyland 10k in order to motivate myself to continue running. Since this race is not until Labor Day 2015, I registered for a much more casual 10k in June. In order to train for these races, I am using the 10k free app from zenlabs. I used the Couch to 5k app to train for my first race, and it was incredible. I recommend it for anyone who is running starting at any level. I literally couldn't run at all when I started, and 9 weeks later I ran a 5k without stopping. Amazing! Now I am trusting the same company to get me to successfully complete my 10ks this summer. I will do a more comprehensive review of the Couch to 5k program in a few days. 

All the best, 
B




No comments:

Post a Comment